History of Fauquier-Strickland
HISTORY OF FAUQUIER
This town owes its name to Mr. Fauquier and brothers, holder of a construction contract of the bridge and Canadian National railway.
In 1909, the village counted only one family; in 1921: 9 families; in 1961: 140 families; and in 1981: 196 families. Several reasons that justified this migration was the exchange of beautiful land that could be cleared and was profitable against grounds of rocks; others were interested in the possession of land that could be timbered for the cut of wood; others sought employment as laborers; others wanted to establish their children on many acres of land.
The first pioneer of Fauquier was Mr. Alphonse Brunet in 1909.
In 1922, the first parish of Fauquier was named under "Sainte-Agnès". That same year, the first priest, Abbot Stéphane Laferrière was named to serve Fauquier. He arrived on April 3 1922.
In 1922, the first official school of Fauquier was founded under the name "Ecole Sainte-Jeanne D'arc". The cost to construct the school in 1922 was established at 8,000$. The first two teachers were Mrs. Jeanne Lefebvre and Mrs. Géralda Gauthier. There were approximately 50 students occupying two different classrooms.
HISTORY OF STRICKLAND
The first colonist of Strickland was Etienne Brassard of Saint-Jérôme, Lac St-Jean. Mr. Brassard arrived on Thursday August 10th, 1916 accompanied by his daughter, his son, Georges Imbeau, Jos Tremblay and his spouse, d'Alfred Tremblay, de Philippe Imbeau and Georges Fortin.
The night of their arrival, they slept in Fauquier. The following morning, they were put to work by building a shelter made of trees in which they resided for 15 days. The men built a camp made of round wood which then became the first parish church.
Etienne Brassard gave 70 acres of land in order to build a church. The priest would have a place to stay free of charge and equipped with all the necessary appliances. Mr. Joseph Tremblay built a black cross made of wood. On August 25th 1916, the cross was blessed and that same day the residents celebrated the first mass. The following mass was only held in June of 1917.
On July 29th 1923, the first priest (Jules Cimon) arrived in Strickland. At that time, Strickland had 23 families and 18 single residents.
The first school established in Strickland was founded by priest Jules Cimon. In September of 1923, the first classes started in the chapel. Miss Armoza Lefebvre was the first teacher. She taught 23 children. The residents would generously make sacrifices to maintain their school and offer $70 monthly in order to pay the teacher.
David and Hermel Brassard were the first merchants of Strickland. After 32 years of business, they decided to sell their store.
The first postmaster in Strickland was Thomas-Louis Brassard.
In 1919, Mr. Thomas-Louis Brassard built the first saw mill.
HISTORY OF GREGOIRE MILLS
Grégoire Mills is an agglomeration situated between Fauquier and Strickland, mileage 44 to 48, but belonging to Fauquier. Nowadays, Grégoire Mills counts approximately 15 families, but there was a time when this center made growing great strides.
In 1916, 4 families resided in Grégoire Mills: Michel Côté, Elzéar Gagnon, Pit Moffat, and Napoléon Villeneuve. At that time, a land of 150 acres was sold 75$.
February 8th 1917, Philippe Richard along with his son Henry age 8 and Napoléon Grégoire arrived in Grégoire Mills. They had brought their belongings: furniture, food and animals in 2 train stock cars.
In the summer of 1917, Napoléon Grégoire built a general store. In the same summer, François-Xavier Martel arrived to build a saw mill under the orders of Napoléon Grégoire. The mill started operating with more than 30 men employed in 1918. At that time, the men would saw 18 288 meters (60 000 feet) of wood per day. It is in honor of M. Grégoire and his mill that we have baptized that section: Grégoire Mills.
In 1921, Napoléon Grégoire sold his saw mill to the Finlanders who then demolished the saw mill and devoted themselves to the sale of wood in the destination of the paper mills of Quebec.
At that present time, no practicable way connected Fauquier to Grégoire before 1922.
Residents of mileage 48 raised a chapel named " La chapelle du rocher" which was served during the summer months by Father Rigaudie.
In 1918, the first school was built on lot 14, concession 10, on the property of Philippe Richard. Marie Luce Gauthier was the first teacher. She received two dollars per month per child which was paid by the parents.
In 1926-27, the residents proceeded with the establishment of a second school built on lot 13, concession 10 near Wellington. A big classroom was built in order to receive students from various ages and in order to offer different courses.
As the cut of woods decreased, the residents decided to move elsewhere.
The residents still living in Grégoire Mills nowadays appreciate the space, great outdoors, tranquility and remain proud of their residence.
HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIP OF FAUQUIER-STRICKLAND
The village of Fauquier is part of the Townships of Shackleton and Machin. The Townships of Shackleton and Machin were constituted in a municipality on December 24th, 1921 by the declaration of the judge and they were incorporated in 1922.
On May 18th, 1984, the royal approval ratifies the project of law treating the renaming of the two Townships of Shackleton and Machin with that of the Corporation of the Township of Fauquier-Strickland. This one owes its name to Mr. Fauquier and brothers who were holders of a construction contract of the bridge and railway of the National Canadian. Since January 1st, 1997, the municipality increased its borders by annexing the western part of the Township of Haggart, as well as the Township of Beardmore, Carmicheal, Macvicar and Stinger.
The municipality of Fauquier-Strickland includes three communities; Fauquier, Gregoire Mills and Strickland. The total population of the Township is of 590 inhabitants which include 257 dwellings following the last census of 2006. Moreover, Fauquier-Strickland is the third greatest municipality in the area with a surface of 1013.54km2.
The Trillium represents Ontario.
The two lily flowers represent our French communities.
The Groundhog which is our mascot takes its name after the Groundhog River.
The spruce represents our main industry in Fauquier-Strickland.
The currency: " AD AUGUSTA PER ANGUSTA " signifies " TOWARDS SUCCESS BY THE EFFORT. "